This list of Skywarn nets is compiled from a list of Skywarn Twitter feeds and Broadcastify radio feeds. Networks are added when there is confirmed traffic. KE4KMD maintains a similar list, which was used in part to develop this one. There is a national Skywarn directory at Skywarn.org.
This list is sorted by state, and from there grouped regionally by National Weather Service forecast office directory. In some cases, NWS forecast areas cross state boundaries, and those are noted.
The Index to SKYWARN Web Pages on the Internet is from Todd L. Sherman KB4MHH and has been updated since 1996; it is an excellent reference. SKYWARN Storm Spotters from David Drummond is another national list.
For an account of the use of Twitter for SKYWARN activities, read #tSpotter: SKYWARN in the Social Media Age from the 2013 AMS conference.
Details for 29 of 50 states compiled here as of April 5, 2014. The future plan is to integrate Skywarn, electric utility outage maps, and National Weather Service forecast info into a single collection, listing the 122 NWS forecast areas on a state by state basis, started June 21, 2016.
National Weather Service
The National Weather Service has a number of Twitter accounts with detailed and timely information about severe weather. The service has forecasting offices with detailed forecasts for every part of the country, plus a set of national forecast offices.
Storm Prediction Center, @NWSSPC. Mesoscale reports for outbreaks of severe weather, national forecast and fire maps, and detailed risk assessments. SPC uses the common hashtag of a two-character state name plus wx, e.g. #miwx for Michigan weather, in its reports.
Tornado alerts, @NWSTornado. Tornado forecasts, watches and warnings, and detailed maps with risk assessments for tornado-warned areas. Does not use hashtags.
Alabama Skywarn Foundation has statewide connections and information.
Alabama severe weather frequencies from Radio Reference.
East Alabama Skywarn serves Lee County and surrounding counties.
Central Alabama Skywarn serves the Montgomery area. W4AP 146.840 repeater, training net Thursdays 7:00 p.m. CT.
Severe weather: #akwx
Arctic Amateur Radio Club, KL4KC.
NWS Fairbanks ham radio Skywarn station, KL7FWX.
Severe weather: #azwx
Skywarn Arizona Sector 1 covers the Tucson area and is particularly active during monsoon season.
Maricopa Amateur Radio Association covers the Phoenix area.
Severe weather: #arwx
CAREN, Central Arkansas Radio Emergency Net via Broadcastify. Little Rock area, monitored April 4, 2014.
W5RHS SKYWARN Repeater 147.120 Mhz via Broadcastify. West of Benton Arkansas, Saline County, linked to other Arkansas Skywarn nets.
Severe weather: #cawx
Severe weather: #cowx
Eastern Colorado Severe Weather Frequencies from W9TEC, last updated 1/2010.
Severe weather: #ctwx
Connecticut Skywarn has maps of frequencies in use and reporting areas.
Severe weather: #dewx
District of Columbia
Severe weather: #dcwx
Severe weather: #flwx
Flagler Skywarn, Jacksonville area.
Severe weather: #gawx
Severe weather: #hiwx
Severe weather: #idwx
Severe weather: #ilwx.
Chicago area: Romeoville, IL (LOT)
National Weather Service: #NWSChicago.
WA9WLN Waldofar Repeater Network covers southern suburban counties Cook, Will, Kankakee and Lake co IN for the National Weather Service Chicago/Romeoville office, LOT
N9IAA Northwest Indiana Skywarn is monitored from Chicago, serving Jasper La Porte Lake Newton Porter Starke counties in Indiana.
Chicagoland Skywarn covers the greater Chicago area. (Broadcastify feed is down).
Northern Illinois Skywarn covers Boone and Winnebago counties.
Electric Utility: ComEd Outage Map
Central Illinois: Lincoln, IL (ILX)
- Electric Utility: Ameren Illinois outage map
Rest of the state
Southern Illinois weather forecast is from Paducah, Kentucky.
Severe weather: #inwx.
Indianapolis and Central Indiana (IND)
- Central Indiana Skywarn Repeater Net W9ICE is a 39 county system, based in Indianapolis.
- Central Indiana Skywarn is a web site from W9NWS.
- Indianapolis area, served by NWS Indianapolis. Also Facebook, Twitter @NWSIndianapolis
- Electric Utility: Duke Energy Indiana outage map.
- Electric Utility: Indianapolis Power and Light outage map
- Newspaper: Indy Star
- Television: WTHR 13, Fox 59 WXIN
Northern Indiana, North Webster IN (IWX)
- Fort Wayne Radio Club SKYWARN is part of IMO Skywarn. IMO (“Indiana-Michigan-Ohio”) covers a 37 county warning area in northern Indiana, southernmost Michigan, and northwestern Ohio.
- Electric Utility: Indiana Michigan Power outage map
- Electric Utility: NIPSCO outage map
Northwest Indiana, via Chicago/Romeoville IL (LOT)
- N9IAA Northwest Indiana Skywarn is monitored from Chicago, serving Jasper La Porte Lake Newton Porter Starke counties in Indiana.
- Electric Utility: NIPSCO outage map
Severe weather: #iawx
Severe weather: #kswx
Severe weather: #kywx
Severe weather: #lawx
Severe weather: #mewx
Severe weather: #mdwx
Severe weather: #mawx
NOAA weather all hazards radio, Michigan listings.
Detroit / Pontiac / Ann Arbor, Southeastern Michigan
- @NWSDetroit: National Weather Service Detroit (DTX)
- Washtenaw County Skywarn, N8DUY 145.15 repeater. Ann Arbor area.
- Electric utility: DTE Energy outage map serves the majority of the NWS Detroit area.
- Newspapers: Detroit Free Press, Detroit News, MLive Ann Arbor.
- Radio: WWJ 950
- Television: WXYZ 7
Grand Rapids / Kalamazoo / Western Michigan (GRR)
- @NWSGrandRapids: National Weather Service Grand Rapids MI (GRR)
- Regional severe weather on Twitter on #wmiwx.
- Electric utility: Consumers Energy outage map
- Television: WZZM 13
- Kent County Skywarn covers the Grand Rapids area. Facebook: KentCounty Skywarn
- Ottawa County Skywarn, Holland MI area. K8DAA 147.060 via Broadcastify
- Lansing Area Skywarn covers Ingham County. Okemos repeater.
Marquette / Houghton / Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Regional severe weather on Twitter on #upwx.
Severe weather: #mnwx
Severe weather: #mswx
Northeast Mississippi Skywarn (Tupelo area) via Tupelo Amateur Radio Club.
Severe weather: #mowx
Severe weather: #mtwx
Severe weather: #newx
Severe weather: #nvwx
Severe weather: #nhwx
Severe weather: #njwx
Cape May County Skywarn is 147.42 simplex.
Severe weather: #nmwx
Severe weather: #nywx
Severe weather: #ndwx.
Central Ohio Severe Weather Network supports NWS Wilmington, OH.
Severe weather: #okwx
Oklahoma weather frequencies on Radio Reference.
Eastern Oklahoma / Northwestern Arkansas Skywarn is out of Tulsa, Oklahoma. Station [WX5TUL].
Severe weather: #riwx.
Severe weather: #scwx.
Severe weather: #sdwx.
Severe weather: #tnwx.
Wichita County: Wichita County ARES 146.940 via Broadcastify.
Severe weather: #utwx
Severe weather: #vtwx
- Severe weather: #wvwx
- National Weather Service, Charleston, WV (RLX) on Twitter: @NWSCharlestonWV
- Electric Utiliity: Appalachian Power outage map
- Newspaper: Charleston Gazette-Mail
- Television: WVVA
Severe weather: #wiwx
MidWest SSTRC covers the Madison area. Listen to MidWest Amateur Severe Storm Tracking Response Center on Broadcastify.